Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: 2013
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: -
Desktop: KDE

Desktop Broken

Post by cabernet »

Greetings. RosaFresh 2012.1 has lost its desktop. I had been updating packages using the mdkapplet - bottom right of the screen. Because of internet connectivity problems I was only doing a few at a time. Now something is broken. My desktop boots up with the default blue background. Konsole and Dophin are present. Other packages can be run using Alt-F2. But nothing can be seen of the Panel or Main Default home screen or the Applications Screen. Any ideas on how to address this ?

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: Desktop Broken

Post by NicCo »

When I have problems with desktop elements, first thing I try is starting with a clean user to verify if the problem is also there or not:
if the problem is no there, your issue is easily addressable, deleting/renaming the .kde4 config folder, to start with clean kde configs,
sometimes the configs to delete may be elsewhere, like in the .config or other hidden folders...

To add a new user, you can AL+F2, konsole, su, drakuser > from drakuser you can add a new "guest" user, then starting it to verify

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL

cabernet
Utente junior
Utente junior
ROSA: 2013
OpenMandriva: -
Kernel: -
Desktop: KDE

Re: Desktop Broken Solved .....partly

Post by cabernet »

Thanks for your suggestions. Tried renaming .kde4 and logging out/in - but no luck. I stumbled across another solution however. Selecting Toobox - top RH corner of the screen, then Add Panel > Rocketbar. This triggered my (absent) Panel back into life, along with the Welcome, Applications and TimeFrame desktop. My next question was how permanent is this likely to be ? Am still testing, but so far it has survived a logout and login, but not a restart.

Time will tell

NicCo
Amministratore
Amministratore

Re: Desktop Broken

Post by NicCo »

There is a more simple way
you can use the Contextual Menu items that appear when you right click mouse on a empy area of your desktop

in this menu, you can find:
- Add Panel then you can choose a>Predefined Panel, b>Empty Panel and c>RocketBar (ROSA predefined)
- choose from there > Add RocketBar > and you have again you ROSA predefined bar with predefined config

You can also make some little modifies to customize the Rocketbar to your needs, then when you've finished,
I can suggest to you to block the Desktop things, avoiding that a wrong click or move may damage this area.

In the contextual menu, you can find:
- Block Objects

enabling the Block Objects, nothing in the desktop can be changed, so none damage can be done by a mistake
if you need to change something again, you can Unblock Objects, do the modifies, then Block again

bye, NicCo
--- Professional experience ---
Kernel designer, engineer, maintainer and tester for ROSA Desktop and OpenMandriva Lx O.S.

--- currently I'm playing with ---
LTS Kernels > Linux 4.1.12-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.18.17-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.14.46-nrjQL
EOL Kernels > Linux 3.19.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.17.8-nrjQL <<< Linux 3.15.10-nrjQL