rosa found inspiron wifi adaptor but ........

About ROSA Desktop distribution and help to users
sameeer_45
Utente
Utente
ROSA: 2012 desktop
OpenMandriva: 2011.0
Kernel: 2.6.38
Desktop: KDE 4.4.6

rosa found inspiron wifi adaptor but ........

Post by sameeer_45 »

hello again

good to see you again

anyway

i installed rosa 2012 fresh on dell inspiron n4050 that already have hyperid graphics and i solved it with asus-switchroo script

anyway

in dell manual they said

if you need to activate the wifi

you should use function button + f2

but rosa understand that shortcut as bluetooth activation/deactivation method

so how can i fix this

andreas
Utente
Utente

Re: rosa found inspiron wifi adaptor but ........

Post by andreas »

Did you select the dell inspiron keyboard in KCM/Input Devices?
AndreaS

Procio Intel i7-4930k, mobo Asus X79-Deluxe, Adaptec raid 7805, Nvidia Quadro 6000 - Rosa Fresh R3 X64

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

there is no such type in there that is compatible with inspiron 4050

the most wierd thing here

harddrake put under keyboard more than 6 type of drivers

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

IIt's not in Hardrake that you have to look in, but in KDE.
So, open system setiings, and under hardware choose input devices, then in Keyboard, hardware tab - keyboard model you will see nearly a hundred of keyboards: among them there is the Dell inspiron one.

In any case, if I well remember, the f2 key in dell does not allow you to toggle among activation of the single wireless boards, but only activates or disactivates both of them. and the behaviour is the same in windows and in linux. If in windows for example you deactivate the wifi card, then the f2 key only activates and deactivates the bluetooth card.
Probaqbly the card has to be activated first in windows as the linux driver does not activate it by default or you shoud contact Atheros to ask for a procedure to activate it in linux.
Just a last question, did you try to activate and deactivate the wifi from the network applet? Moreover I see that there is a ifup-wireless script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ( strangely there is no ifdown-wireless script)

P.S. Rethinking to your problem, you can even try to configure your card through the harddrake - run configuration tool that opens the old mandriva wireless configuration program.
AndreaS

Procio Intel i7-4930k, mobo Asus X79-Deluxe, Adaptec raid 7805, Nvidia Quadro 6000 - Rosa Fresh R3 X64

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

i already know tat you are talking about systemsettings

but the inspiron that you talking about is 6xxxx / 7xxxx

while i have 4050

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

but did you read my other sugestions. Have you already tested them?
AndreaS

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

there is strange behave in harddrake if i try to test wifi

==============

as you know if you try to test your connection even its wierd or wifi

harddrake give you that ability

but

even when i used DELL manuals method (( starting wifi from fn + f2 ))

and

to make it more confusing harddrake find that card but ....

it will not let you to test your connection through it ..... it will but just for wired

================================

oh .... yah about activate the wifi in windows then return to linux (( that method wont work for me because i dont use windows ))

===============

and .... about activate / deactivate the card from applet

after system start .... wireless by default will be activated and if i try to deactivate bluetooth from kde applet then i can

but ..... if i use DELL manuals method then try to deactivate bluetooth from kde applet .... kde applet cant do it

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

As far as I know, dell comes with windows preinstalled, so, as a workaround you can try to install windows on a virtual machine, or, better, on an usb drive, and try to activate the board from there. I repeat, the Fn+F2 key method activates both cards and not just one. If one is deactivated through the driver, then it stays on that state, whatever you do. I had a similar problem with a precision laptop trhat my wife uses. The wifi card is an Intel one, but I well remember that, while I was out for some days, she phoned me because she lost her wifi connection. I gave her directions to solve the problem in windows, but, during her tests, she left the wifi card disabled, so the Fn+F2 combination toggled just the bluetooth card, and not the wifi one.
This behaviour remained the same even when switching from windows to linux. When I went back I activated the card from windows and I fixed the problem in both operating systems.
So chances there are that on the card there is a setting that activates or deativates it, and that the dell method uses a different trick to activate and deactivate both. Consider that dell method is independent from the hardware intalled. On that laptop it worked with a broadcomm and with an intel wifi card, which, I believe, do not share tha same hardware.
If the above does not work, I guess that you have a defective wifi card.
Last edited by andreas on 11 March 2013, 3:33, edited 1 time in total.
AndreaS

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

thats ..... if its come with pre-installed windows

but this one comes with ubuntu

and it didnt have that problem .... (( i mean the wireless work ))

so i didnt hesitate and installed rosa instead ......

FYI

i didnt deactivated before rosa installing

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

So, it looks like a driver problem. I never had an atheros card, is the driver embedded in kernel?
AndreaS

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

and how can i know

=====

by the way if the driver hasn't been installed then harddrake should ask me to install it when its first starting attempt

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

looking in hard drake on the right, it should point out which module it is using, if any, then you could go in software manager and check to see if the module is present as an external module and what it is aimed to. Broadcomm, for instance, requires an external module and, as far as I know, it has never been integrated in kernel. About Atheros I'm in doubt, as I had an Atheros based router and I remember guys from openwrt continuously updating the kernel hoping to get better wireless drivers that in any case never performed as well as the router's proprietary ones.
As soon as I can switch to Linux, I'll check myself.
AndreaS

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

i saw in harddrake that the wirless name is broadcom

and the kind of driver that harddrake use it for that device is marked as unknown

so i tried to install

dkms-broadcom-wl

to solve it .... but it didnt solve it

andreas
Utente
Utente

Post by andreas »

So the problem is that your card is not handled by the driver, which explains why you are not able to initialize it through the old configuration tool.
On http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 there are some information about the boadcomm drivers end the supported chipset. To identify your you can follow the the instructions on the page or more simply look for the device id in harddrake. If your chip is a new one, chances there are that you have to ask the community to compile that new driver (if this has not aledy been done in some cooker repos).
AndreaS

sameeer_45
Utente
Utente

Post by sameeer_45 »

i am afraid to say that this dell laptop use

14e4:4365

which has no support

i wish really wish if MIB kernel team help me here

so please i nead that driver if you can make it